Chapter 6: Wandering
Numbers 13—14, 20:1—13; Deuteronomy 34
[Joshua and Caleb] said, “If the Lord is pleased with us, he’ll lead us into that land… He’ll give it to us.” —Numbers 14:8, NIRV
“If the Lord is pleased with us, he will lead us into that land, a land flowing with milk and honey, and will give it to us.” —Numbers 14:8, NIV
Family Discussion Questions for Preschool & Elementary
• Why were Joshua and Caleb so confident they could defeat people who were bigger than they were and lived in strong cities? (They trusted God; they had faith in His promises.)
• What was the difference between Joshua and Caleb and the other 10 spies?
• By focusing on their circumstances, the 10 spies were too scared to trust God. Being afraid is normal. What are some things in your life that scare you?
• Does your fear ever keep you from doing something you want to?
• How can we help you and how can God help you when you are afraid?
Family Discussion Questions for Middle & High School Students
• What do you think is the most important of the 10 Commandments? Why?
• When Jesus was asked that same question, what did He say? (Read Matthew 22:36-40) Why did He answer this way? Do you agree?
• Is there any time in which it would be okay to break a commandment?
• What does God do with us as law breakers?
• What do the 10 Commandments and the story about the golden calf show us about God’s character? (He’s a jealous God; He cares about life; He wants us to look to Him for our needs.)
Family Activity Options
FOR YOUNGER CHILDREN: Do trust falls with your family (just make sure your children are big enough to catch you). Have one person stand facing away and with their arms crossed in front of them. Instruct them to close their eyes, remain stiff and fall backwards. Have another family member or two “catch” that person before they hit the ground. Take turns falling backwards and catching each other. Ask:
• What was the scariest part?
• Was it hard to trust that you’d be safe when you fell backward? Why?
• Why is it hard sometimes to trust God and His Word?
• Can you always trust your family to be there for you?
• Can you always trust God to be there for you?
FOR OLDER CHILDREN: Watch a clip of Back to the Future where Doc tests the Delorean (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0kswK2aI08)
• Why do you think Marty trusted Doc?
• What did he gain from trusting instead of fearing?