Chapter 1: Creation
When God created man, he made him in his own likeness. —Genesis 5:1, NIRV
When God created mankind, he made them in the likeness of God. —Genesis 5:1, NIV
Family Discussion Questions for Preschool & Elementary
• If you could live a day as any animal, what animal would you be? What are some of the good and bad things about living as that animal?
• What are some ways people and animals are different?
• Are people or animals more important to God?
(Explain that people are worth way more than animals, because we’re the only part of Creation made in God’s image. We were made to have a relationship with God. Even Jesus said in Matthew 10:31 that we’re “worth more than many sparrows.”)
Family Discussion Questions for Middle and High School Students
• What are some things you really like about yourself? (Could be hair, clothes, sense of humor, athletic ability)
• Do you think knowing you are made in the image of God changes the way you see yourself? Why or why not?
• Why do you think the culture is so consumed with looks and fame?
• How does Adam and Eve’s sin make you feel?
Family Activity Options
Grab a family photo album that has some shots of you enjoying the outdoors. Ask:
• What do you remember most about this experience?
• What are some of your favorite things about God’s creation?
• How can you see God’s handiwork in the outdoors?
• Where are some places you’d like to visit?
If the conversation leads, plan a fun family outing or your next family vacation.
Remind your children that all people are important to God by taking some food to a local food bank or going through your closets and making a donation to a homeless shelter. Remind your kids that helping the less fortunate shows them God’s love.
Spend a few moments one evening going on a family treasure hunt around your house. End your hunt at a mirror (either handheld or in a bathroom) so your family can discover God’s greatest creation—you!